If your air conditioner just isn’t working right, there are a few easy steps you can take to fix the situation—even if you aren’t a professional HVAC technician. Running through our list of fixes can help you identify whether you have a more serious problem and need to call in some extra help.
Here are our easy fixes that can address the most common AC problems:
- Clean/change the filters.
- Make sure your thermostat is on the right setting.
- Make sure the registers aren’t blocked or dirty.
- Check for plants crowding the compressor.
- Schedule your annual check-up.
Interested in finding out more? Talk to a Durham AC professional at JD Service Now for honest insight. We serve Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and the surrounding areas with professionalism and care.
Quick & Easy Steps to Fix Your AC
If your AC isn’t working well, you can:
- Clean/change the filters. One of the most common problems with any air conditioning system will involve dirty filters. They reduce airflow and make the system less efficient, affecting your comfort and your electric bill. Fortunately, this is one of the easiest AC fixes. Ask yourself how long it has been since you cleaned or changed the filters. Check the filter manufacturer’s recommendation to see how frequently they should be changed. Depending on the size of your house, it may only take about 10-15 minutes to change all the filters.
- Make sure your thermostat is on the right setting. Another common issue—and easy fix—is the setting on your thermostat. If your system is running constantly or is constantly turning on and off but the temperature in your home is uncomfortable, you could have a thermostat issue. Make sure the thermostat isn’t in the sun, where it would give an unusually high reading. Check the thermostat box to make sure it’s level and hasn’t been bumped loose from the wall. Make sure it’s receiving power, as the problem could be a tripped breaker, blown fuse, or dead batteries.
- Make sure the registers aren’t blocked or dirty. If you have a forced-air system, check the registers. These are the air vents that expel the heated or cooled air into your home. If these are extremely dirty or are blocked by furniture or other items, your air conditioner will be forced to work overtime. Your home will be uncomfortable, and you’ll probably see an increase in your energy bill. Regularly vacuum your registers and make sure they’re not blocked.
- Check for plants crowding the compressor. Your outdoor air compressor is a key part of your AC unit, and it needs to be free from debris so it can work properly. Make sure the compressor is at least two to three feet away from any plants, structures, or other objects that could block or interrupt airflow. Make sure the top of the compressor has at least five feet of clearance.
- Schedule your annual check-up. It’s important to remember that every AC unit should be checked regularly by a professional. Even newer units need to be inspected routinely to make sure every part is working properly. This can help your system last longer and work more efficiently, which will save you money—and a good deal of headache—in the long run.
Calling in a Professional
If you’ve run through the list above and can’t find anything wrong or are still experiencing problems, it’s probably time to call in a professional. At JD Service Now, we’ll be happy to come to you and assess the situation. We’ll be honest and upfront so you know what to expect and can make the right choice for your comfort—and your budget.
Call (919) 626-3626 today for reliable repairs by our skilled Durham air conditioning technicians.