What You Can Do to Avoid Plumbing Problems
You’ve probably heard the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” This is certainly true when it comes to plumbing. You can take a few fairly simple steps to avoid serious—and potentially expensive—plumbing problems in your home or commercial building.
In this blog, we’ll cover a few tips to help you avoid such problems as:
- Clogged drains
- Water temperature issues
- Sewer odors
- Clogged toilets
- Fixture leaks
If you’re dealing with a plumbing emergency or are interested in learning more about the ways our Durham plumbers can help you, give JD Service Now a call at 919-383-7000 . We’re committed to providing quality workmanship you can trust.
Preventing Plumbing Issues: What You Can Do
It’s easy to prevent common plumbing issues. Here’s what you can do:
- Clogged drains: In commercial and residential buildings, clogged drains are a common issue. You can avoid clogs by refraining from putting certain items and substances down the sink. Certain solids and larger items are an obvious no, but what about liquids? Grease, fats, and even starches like pasta or rice can cause clogs. The same applies to corn husks, coffee grounds, and celery. These stringy items can cause problems with your drains. Make sure you do not put any of these items down your drains.
- Water temperature issues: Issues with water temperature can be inconvenient and uncomfortable. They may also be a sign that there is an issue with your water heater, which you should have checked out by a professional before it escalates into a more serious problem. Check for leaks, a pilot light that may not be lit, or another visible issue. Call a local plumber to get it checked out and resolved.
- Sewer odors: You can prevent sewer odors by running water regularly through all your sinks and drains. The u-shaped pipes below your plumbing fixtures, which are called traps, usually keep sewer odors from traveling up into your home or commercial building. If the pipes dry out, the odors may start to travel through. If you notice sewage odors in a drain you don’t use often, try running some water down and through.
- Clogged toilets: The best way to prevent toilet clogs is by only flushing human waste and toilet paper. Feminine products, hair, medication, dental floss, and even flushable wipes can cause clogs. Most minor clogs can be fixed with a plunger, but if you notice constant clogging or cannot fix a clogged toilet with a plunger, give your local plumber a call.
- Fixture leaks: The majority of fixture leaks are caused by wear and tear to o-rings, washers, or seals. While wear is normal and can’t really be prevented altogether, you can help by drying fixtures and their seals after use. If you notice any amount of water leaking, it’s important to check it out and call in a professional to get it fixed. Even a small leak can add up to a big waste of water.
Do I Need a Plumber?
You can find a great deal of information regarding DIY plumbing and troubleshooting online, but if you ever feel like you’re in over your head, you should consider calling a plumber. Trying a complex fix on your own can cause more damage, and it can even be dangerous for yourself and your family or tenants.
At JD Service Now, we’re always ready to help with any type of plumbing issue. Whether you’ve already tried to fix it on your own or started by calling our team, you can count on our friendly service and skilled technicians. We serve Durham and the surrounding areas, including Apex, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Cary.
FIND Out MORE
Finance Now & Get Approved Today!
Don’t Sacrifice Your
Get the fast, affordable HVAC, plumbing, or electrical services you deserve by filling
out the form below.
Sign up for the Always Right
Home Partnership Program
Our 100% Worry-Free Home Service Plans
Experience unmatched peace of mind when you invest in our Home Partnership Program. From priority service, seven days a week, to 10% off all service and repairs, when you become a member of our home service plan, you can rest assured that our reliable team will keep your home’s comfort systems operating smoothly. Learn more about the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical benefits you’ll get when you sign up!LEARN MORE