Plumbing Tips: Moving into a New Home
Whether you’re buying a fixer-upper or purchasing a house that’s move-in ready, plumbing is an important issue to consider. Old or poorly maintained pipes, water heaters, or other parts of your new home’s plumbing system could cause serious problems if they are not properly identified before you buy.
Here are a few helpful plumbing-related moving tips:
- Schedule a plumbing inspection.
- Have your home checked for mold.
- Ask your new neighbors about their plumbing.
- Take preventative measures through routine maintenance.
- Watch for signs of plumbing problems.
JD Service Now proudly serves residential and commercial clients in Durham and throughout the surrounding areas in North Carolina. To find out more about our plumbing services and how we can help if you’re moving, call 919-383-7000!
How to Make Sure Your Home’s Plumbing System Is Ready
Whether your house was built 5 or 50 years ago, you need to make sure its plumbing system is functioning properly. Here’s how you can do this:
- Schedule a plumbing inspection. A house may seem perfect on the surface, but serious plumbing problems could still be present. A professional plumbing inspection will reveal any issues that should be fixed. A 15-year-old water heater may be functioning right now, but how long will it last? Are there any weaknesses in the home’s plumbing system that should be addressed before or after you move in? Spending a little bit of money on an inspection now could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
- Have your home checked for mold. Check your inspection report for any signs of mold or water damage, as these can be caused by plumbing problems. They can also be indications of a leaky roof or another serious issue. If toxic mold is present, it can cause health problems. Make sure the seller can identify the source of mold and have it checked and remediated if needed.
- Ask your new neighbors about their plumbing. If you’re moving into an apartment or townhome, you may want to ask your neighbors how their plumbing systems work and if they are having any problems. If you’re moving into a standard single-family home, you can ask neighbors on the street whether they experience issues with water pressure or sewer problems. This could help you understand what to expect in your new place.
- Take preventative measures through routine maintenance. Even after you’ve had your plumbing inspection, fixed any issues, and moved in, you should keep up with routine maintenance to keep your home’s plumbing system functioning properly. Most water heaters and sump pumps should be checked at least once a year, and you should have a plumber come out immediately if you notice any leaks or other signs that could indicate a plumbing problem.
- Watch for signs of plumbing problems. After you move in, keep your eyes open. Watch for slow-moving drains, running toilets, visible leaks, changes in water pressure, and cold or lukewarm water that should be hot. These could be signs of plumbing problems, and you need to act fast to make sure they don’t get worse. Call your local plumber and get professional help.
The Benefits of a Professional Inspection by Our Durham Plumbers
Unless you’re a licensed plumber or experienced do-it-yourself homeowner, you probably don’t have enough knowledge or the right tools to determine whether your new home’s plumbing system is up to par. At JD Service Now, our Durham plumbing experts can conduct a thorough inspection to make sure everything is working correctly. We’ll give our honest insight, backed by proof, of any issues we think should be addressed before you move in. We can also offer price estimates of what it will cost to fix anything from a small leak to a tankless water heater upgrade or repiping an entire home.Contact us today for more information on how you can check the plumbing in your new home.
FIND Out MORE
Finance Now & Get Approved Today!
Don’t Sacrifice Your
Get the fast, affordable HVAC, plumbing, or electrical services you deserve by filling
out the form below.
Sign up for the Always Right
Home Partnership Program
Our 100% Worry-Free Home Service Plans
Experience unmatched peace of mind when you invest in our Home Partnership Program. From priority service, seven days a week, to 10% off all service and repairs, when you become a member of our home service plan, you can rest assured that our reliable team will keep your home’s comfort systems operating smoothly. Learn more about the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical benefits you’ll get when you sign up!LEARN MORE