How to Prepare for an Emergency
Being prepared for an emergency is an important part of owning a home. You will want to be prepared for every potential situation, from power outages during a summer thunderstorm to house fires. While you may have home insurance to recover any loss of property or damages, you can also help protect yourself and your family by having an emergency preparation checklist on hand.
Here are a few things to make sure that you are prepared for an emergency.
There may be things you will want to add that are specific to your home and area, but this is a good general list to get you started.
- Make sure you have a list of all pertinent numbers on hand, such as the gas company or the number to your local HVAC and plumbing company.
- Have an emergency exit plan. Some families choose to run drills to make sure everyone in the home knows how to get out safely. Every family should at least have a plan that everyone is aware of in case of a fire or other emergency. If you own a business, make sure you schedule routine fire drills.
- Update all fire extinguishers and smoke alarms in your home. Fire extinguishers have an expiration date, and they should be inspected regularly. Check the inspection tag to make sure that it has been inspected within the last year.
- Test smoke alarms and CO2 alarms on a regular basis. Change batteries as soon as they go out.
- In earthquake-prone areas, make sure that your gas cut off valve is installed properly and working. Gas lines can break and cause dangerous gas leaks during earthquakes, so call a gas piping professional you can trust to inspect your lines and safety devices.
- Always have a flashlight in a place where you can get to it easily if the power goes out. If you have frequent power outages, it might be a good idea to invest in a backup generator, especially if you own a business.
- Make sure to have your heating and air conditioning system checked at least once a year to help ensure that everything is working safely.
By following these simple steps, you can be prepared for most emergencies. Call us today if you haven’t scheduled your annual maintenance exam.
FIND Out MORE
Finance Now & Get Approved Today!
Don’t Sacrifice Your
Get the fast, affordable HVAC, plumbing, or electrical services you deserve by filling
out the form below.
Sign up for the Always Right
Home Partnership Program
Our 100% Worry-Free Home Service Plans
Experience unmatched peace of mind when you invest in our Home Partnership Program. From priority service, seven days a week, to 10% off all service and repairs, when you become a member of our home service plan, you can rest assured that our reliable team will keep your home’s comfort systems operating smoothly. Learn more about the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical benefits you’ll get when you sign up!LEARN MORE