DIY Tips for Detecting a Leak: Where’s That Water Coming From?
Nobody wants to deal with a water leak in their home or office, but it happens pretty often, and if you follow a few simple steps, you’ll probably be able to detect a minor leak on your own.
Here’s what you should do if you suspect a leak:
- Turn off all hoses and faucets.
- Check your water meter.
- Shut off the water to your toilets.
- Shut off the water to your other appliances.
- If needed, call a professional.
For emergency plumbing help in the Durham area, call JD Service Now at 919-383-7000! We’re experienced, reliable, and ready to help.
DIY Leak Detection in 5 Simple Steps
A water leak, even a small one, can cause a lot of damage to your home or business. It can destroy flooring, drywall, and paint, and it can lead to mold, which can cause health problems.
If you’ve noticed a spike in your water bill or another sign that you could have a leak, there are a few steps you can take yourself to find the leak and get it fixed.
- Turn off all hoses and faucets. Go through your property and make sure each hose, faucet, and showerhead is completely turned off. This is the first step in narrowing down the source of your leak.
- Check your water meter. Once you’ve turned off all faucets and hoses, check your water meter. You’ll need to look at the low-flow indicator, which is often in the shape of a small star, gear, or triangle. If this is spinning, it means there is still water running somewhere on your property.
- Shut off the water to your toilets. The next step will be to shut off the water flow to your toilets, one by one, checking your water meter as you go. Toilets are frequently the culprit in water leaks, as they may be quietly running without you even knowing it.
- Shut off the water to your other appliances. If your low-flow indicator is still moving, it’s time to move on to your other appliances. Shut off the water to your washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, and any other appliance that uses water. Do this one by one, again checking your water meter as you go.
- If needed, call a professional. If you haven’t located the source of the leak at this point, it’s time to call in a professional. A trained, licensed, and insured plumber can come to your property to locate the source of the leak—and fix it.
At JD Service Now, we offer 24/7 emergency leak detection and repair services, and our technicians are friendly, honest, and reliable. We know that nobody wants to deal with a water leak, and that’s why we make sure to put our clients’ needs and satisfaction first. We get the job done right so you can get back to your life.
FIND Out MORE
Finance Now & Get Approved Today!
Don’t Sacrifice Your
Get the fast, affordable HVAC, plumbing, or electrical services you deserve by filling
out the form below.
Sign up for the Always Right
Home Partnership Program
Our 100% Worry-Free Home Service Plans
Experience unmatched peace of mind when you invest in our Home Partnership Program. From priority service, seven days a week, to 10% off all service and repairs, when you become a member of our home service plan, you can rest assured that our reliable team will keep your home’s comfort systems operating smoothly. Learn more about the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical benefits you’ll get when you sign up!LEARN MORE