Spring has officially sprung here in North Carolina, and while it’s definitely time to check and prep your AC for summer, it’s also a good idea to check your plumbing to make sure it’s set to handle rain and all your springtime needs.
Here are a few helpful springtime plumbing tips from our pros at JD Service Now:
- Check and prep your water heater.
- Check and prep your sump pump.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Check your water valves.
- Check for leaks outdoors.
- Check for leaks indoors.
Taking the time to carry out these simple steps could save you from a plumbing emergency! For more information and to talk to a Durham plumber about your needs, give us a call at (919) 626-3626 today.
Springtime Plumbing Tips
Prevention is best when it comes to your plumbing system. You can avoid expensive—and messy—repairs by taking a few simple steps every spring. Or, if you have a plumbing emergency or are interested in a professional inspection, repiping, upgrade, or any other plumbing need, you can call our team at JD Service Now. We’re always ready to help!
To make sure your plumbing system is ready for those April showers and May flowers:
- Check and prep your water heater. It’s a good idea to keep a close eye on your water heater, especially once winter is over! Check your water heater for any signs of corrosion or leaks. If you see rust, puddles of water, soot, or calcification, call a plumber to have it professionally inspected. Another thing you can do is make sure your water heater is set no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This can prevent scalding and is best for energy efficiency.
- Check and prep your sump pump. If you have a sump pump, check to make sure it’s working before all the spring rains arrive. You can do this by pouring a few buckets of water in. A properly working sump pump should turn on quickly, discharge the water, and shut off. If you notice any issues, schedule an inspection with a plumber!
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. Now is also a good time to check the drains in your yard, as well as your gutters and downspouts. Clean out any debris you find to make sure water can flow freely through, away from your home’s foundation.
- Check your water valves. You can keep your water valves from becoming stuck by turning them off and on every so often. After winter is a great time to check those valves.
- Check for leaks outdoors. Some outdoor pipes can freeze and break during the winter. Once temperatures become milder and pipes thaw, don’t forget to check them for signs of leaks. You might notice a leak the first time you turn on the hose or might find a dripping outdoor faucet. Call in a professional plumber if you suspect a leaky or broken pipe.
- Check for leaks indoors. Look for dripping faucets, running toilets, or fixtures that might need to be repaired or replaced. Even a slow drip could run up your water bill or lead to a more expensive problem in the future. Keep an eye out for indoor leaks as a part of your springtime plumbing checklist!
Talk to a Durham Plumber Today!
JD Service Now has been helping homeowners and business owners in Durham and throughout the surrounding communities for years. Our technicians have over 100 years of combined plumbing, heating, and air conditioning experience, and we believe in getting each job done right the first time. Whether you want to schedule an inspection, need us to help with a pesky leak, or have a full-blown plumbing or HVAC emergency, we’re here to provide the reliable service and quality workmanship you deserve!
Contact us online or call (919) 626-3626 today to schedule an appointment, and find out why we’re trusted by people across the Durham area for all their plumbing needs.