Spring is when most homeowners don’t worry too much about their air conditioners. Milder temperatures mean your system probably isn’t running as much as usual, and this is the perfect time to perform some routine maintenance to make sure your home will be nice and cool for the summer.
You can take a few steps on your own to complete your spring AC maintenance:
- Turn on the system.
- Clean around the unit.
- Check the components.
- Clean the ducts and change the filters.
- Fix any issues you find.
For professional help with any of these steps, give JD Service Now a call at (919) 626-3626. Fast, friendly, and reliable, our Durham HVAC technicians can provide the service you need!
5 Steps to Get Your HVAC Summer Ready
Whether you’re more of a do-it-yourself homeowner or usually rely on professionals to keep your home maintained, check out the following steps. Many are easy enough to try on your own without any intervention or assistance from an HVAC technician. Others may be more complex, or if you’re not comfortable attempting them on your own, just give us a call and we’ll come right over.
Take these five steps to make sure your HVAC system is ready for summer:
- Turn on the system. This is the easiest step of all, and the first one. Turn on your air conditioner and leave it on for a little while. Walk through your house and check the temperature throughout. Is it cooling your home? Is it making any strange noises? Take this preliminary measure to get an overall idea of how the system is working.
- Clean around the unit. Leaves, dust, and debris can collect around your air conditioner’s outside condenser unit, making it work much harder than it needs to as it tries to cool your home. You can clean the unit yourself with an air conditioner coil cleaner (check to see which one the manufacturer recommends), a vacuum, and a water hose. To clean the condenser:
- Turn off the thermostat
- Remove large debris with gloved hands
- Gently vacuum the condenser fins using a soft brush attachment
- Hose off any remaining loose debris
- Spray the unit with the coil cleaner and wait 10-15 minutes (or as directed)
- Hose off the coil cleaner
- Check the components. This is where it gets a little tricky, as it can be difficult to see potential issues if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Visually check these parts of your HVAC unit to make sure everything is attached, undamaged, and free from blockages:
- Refrigerant levels
- Fan motor and blades
- Tubing and hoses
- Control box
- Clean the ducts and change the filters. You can change the filters on your HVAC system on your own pretty easily, so go ahead and do this. Make sure you use the right type of filter based on manufacturer recommendations. Duct cleaning is a different story—you’ll need to call in a professional to check and clean your ducts. Dirty ductwork can reduce the efficiency of your system and can cause poor indoor air quality, so this is an important step.
- Fix any issues you find. If you’ve uncovered any issues in the above steps, get a licensed technician in to check them out and perform necessary repairs. At JD Service Now, you can count on an honest and upfront evaluation and estimate so we can get your HVAC system in excellent shape.
Nothing Compares to Routine Maintenance
With HVAC systems, nothing compares to routine maintenance. This provides such benefits as:
- Keeping your HVAC system working at optimum energy efficiency
- Extending the life of your system
- Uncovering minor issues before they become major problems
- Avoiding unnecessary breakdowns and expensive repairs
Experience all these benefits by keeping an eye on your system and calling in a professional if you ever encounter a problem or repair you can’t handle on your own. In the right hands, your AC system will work as effectively and efficiently as possible, for as long as possible.
Contact us online or give us a call at (919) 626-3626 to schedule your AC maintenance or repair with JD Service Now! We serve Dunham, Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and the surrounding areas.