It’s still cold in the Durham area in mid-January, with current temperatures dropping down into the 20s or 30s at night and only coming up into the 40s or 50s during the day. You need to make sure your home’s furnace is working properly, but how can you know if it’s time for a new one altogether?
Here are a few signs that it might be time for a new furnace:
- Your furnace is over 15 years old.
- You’ve noticed an unexplained increase in your energy bill.
- Your house just isn’t warm enough.
- Your furnace requires frequent repairs.
- You have a lot of dust in your home.
- Your furnace is making strange sounds.
Have you noticed these signs? Give our Durham heating technicians a call at (919) 626-3626!
6 Signs That You Need a New Furnace
When temperatures drop close to freezing, you can’t afford to lose heat in your home—it’s for your comfort and your safety. It’s important to recognize signs that there’s something going on with your heating system, particularly if these signs indicate that it’s time for a new one.
You might need a new furnace if:
- Your furnace is over 15 years old. The typical furnace will last about 15 to 20 years, and that’s with proper maintenance. If your furnace is older than 15 years and it isn’t working as well as it should, it’s probably time for a new unit—before it breaks down completely.
- You’ve noticed an unexplained increase in your energy bill. If energy rates haven’t increased, but your bill has, your furnace could be to blame. It is one of the biggest energy users in most modern homes, and if it is not working properly, it could be causing unnecessary increases in your energy bill.
- Your house just isn’t warm enough. If you’re cold in your own home, no matter how to try to adjust the thermostat, it’s a good idea to have a professional come look at your furnace. Different temperatures in different areas of your house, a furnace that’s not cycling on and off properly, and other issues could be signs that it’s time for a new furnace.
- Your furnace requires frequent repairs. If your furnace is breaking down constantly, getting a new one may be cheaper than paying for emergency repairs again and again. An experienced furnace service and installation technician can check out your unit and can help you weigh the costs of constant repairs versus buying a new one.
- You have a lot of dust in your home. If you have a lot of dust in your home, and it keeps coming back no matter how often you clean, your furnace filter may be the problem. We recommend having your furnace filter changed regularly, typically every few months or so. If your filter has never been changed, it could cause permanent damage to your furnace—meaning you need a new one.
- Your furnace is making strange sounds. If you’ve noticed that your furnace is making strange sounds, make sure to call a technician as soon as possible. Some sounds may indicate that a minor adjustment will fix the problem, but others—specifically banging or grinding noises—could be a sign that you need a repair or even a new furnace.
At JD Service Now, our Durham furnace installation technicians are experienced, knowledgeable, and honest. We’ll take a look at the problem and help you determine whether you need a new furnace, what type is best for you, and how to move forward. You can always count on our quality of work and our commitment to your satisfaction.
Contact us today to schedule your appointment. We’re available 7 days a week to help you!