No matter how well you look after your home, sooner or later, you?re probably going to have to deal with a clogged drain in Durham. Here?s what you need to know.
What Causes Clogged Drains in Durham?
Before we talk about how to fix a clogged drain, it?s a good idea to take a look at how a drain gets clogged in the first place. There are a number of possible causes that a clog builds up:
- Large pieces of debris get lodged in the drain.
- Fat congeals and builds up in the drain.
- Sediment builds up and forms clogs.
- Tree roots pierce the drain in search of nutrients in the waste water.
Though you can?t do much to prevent tree roots from growing into the drain, you can take other measures to avoid clogs. Always remember to use your garbage disposal to grind up large pieces of debris, and never pour oil or fat into the drain. Instead, pour it into a container and discard of it appropriately.
How to Fix a Clogged Drain in Durham, NC
If you have a clogged drain, then you need to take action immediately. There are a number of things you can do yourself:
- Pour a homemade mixture of half a cup of baking soda followed by half a cup of vinegar in the drain. Follow that up with two kettles of boiling water. The clog should start to break up.
- Use a commercial drain cleaning solution. Make sure to wear protective gloves and eye glasses, and follow the instructions to the letter.
- Use a plunger. Suction can often break up clogs. Simply place the plunger over the drain, pump it up and down a few times, then remove. The clog will start to break up. Repeat as necessary.
If none of these methods work, you?re looking at a more stubborn clog, and one that?s possibly further into the plumbing system than you can reach. In cases like these, call JD Service Now right away. We can resolve the issue quickly and cost-effectively so you can relax!